Followers

8/05/2015

Butterfly Challenge #36 + W is for Washi

Hi and thanks for stopping by. Wanted to try to play in Mrs. A's Butterfly Challenge so have been working with butterfly dies lately. This month the challenge alphabet letter is W for Washi Tape. I have a good supply of this, seldom use it. The main reason is: I never know where to put it that it doesn't look clumsy. Some years ago, saw a blog post where the cardmaker had saved bits of ribbon, adhered it to chipboard and cut a pretty butterfly. Well, why not make a butterfly with washi? So that's what I did. However, in selecting the washi rolls from the box where they are stored, found that a couple of these are 'fabric tape'...hmmm. Well, it worked just like washi, except it needed more coaxing to stick. Hope the combination of washi & fabric tape on this Ellentina butterfly will qualify this guy in Mrs. A's W challenge!!!



- applied strips of tape over a lightweight c/stock (el cheapo Georgia Pacific), burnished down the tape, and used the Ellentina Butterfly Set to die cut. This set has the filigree shape and a solid shape. Used the solid to cut the tape layer, and the filigree to cut the vellum overlay. Colored the body with Copic C110.

- another masking and faux metal background (per Jennifer McGuire)**. This time had more narrow borders - used DI Abandoned Coral, Fossilized Amber and Persimmon, and Perfect Pearls Copper. That really created a pretty look, but don't think it looks as metallic as the blue & green of this card.  Still quite a pretty background though. Checked the EF more carefully this time to be sure the Embossing would be where I wanted :-).This time used Gina K Luxury Cardstock for the sponging. This c/s is 120# compared to the GP used on the previous card. That piece was from a stack cut to emboss samples to place with EF's before filing them to store. The GK c/s was much easier to sponge and then blend, and believe I got a much better look with this c/s. Just FYI. 

- Elizabeth Craft sentiment cut from a snippet of the washi taped c/s. Always lose the little bits that should be used over the 'i', so there's a gold pearl

- added 2 strips of some of the washi tape at the border, cut on an angle. The angle was pretty rubbish with the diagonal cut, so used a punch to add a butterfly to hide the wonky angle. That looked odd, so added one more to have a trio of butterflies.

Hope my explanations of the adventures I have while making cards does not bore you to tears. When I'm surfing, I always enjoy learning what the crafter did 'wrong' and how it was fixed. I learn a lot from that...probably more than from seeing a 'perfectly made- no problem' card. But if you get tired of reading, then hopefully just enjoy the card and don't read all the blah-blah!! (I write pretty much the way I'd speak to you if you were here with me :-).

** Several commenters have said they could get to the link but couldn't get the video to play. If you're looking on Youtube, then try Jennifer's Blog  (Aug 2 post). If it was at the blog where the problem was, try searching it out on Youtube, which is where I saw it. Hope this helps. 

Don't forget to check out all the new monthly challenges that are going on over at HLS...There is sure to be one (or two!) that you'd like to join in.

Ya'll have a grand afternoon, and come again when you can. Now I'm off to link up at the August Butterfly Challenge. Big Hugs.

38 comments:

  1. W is for Wonderful I love the mix of color on both the background and the butterfly Really nice job Mary ......Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I am loving the Washi butterfly and the whole card is fab.

    Hope you have a lovely day. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous colours you've used on this one Mary, stunning work, love it!
    hugs Jacee
    Simply Paper Card Design

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card came out great! I love how you made the butterfly. That was so clever to use washi tape. The tape you picked looks so good together. It's a lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful way of combining several colors and techniques, Mary! It's lovely! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Gorgeos butterfly most certainly does qualify. Such gorgeous colours and a great mix of paper tape and fabric tape. A perfect background created too for your butterfly. Thankyou for fluttering by and taking up the challenge. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo well done Mary LOL I too have a stash of washi tape. When i made my card for Mrs.A challenge it was the first time they saw daylight since i had bought them, ages ago.
    You have done a good job on this pretty card.
    Hugs, Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, beautiful card and butterfly, love the bright colours, hugs Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card Mary-fabulous use of the Washi !
    Hugs,Nessa XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. W is for wow!! This is stunning, Mary!! I love the gorgeous butterfly!! The background is beautiful!! Every detail is amazing!! This is a show-stopper my friend!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really like the way you did this butterfly. You picked great tapes and fabrics that work nicely together. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, your butterfly is stunning Mary! I may just have to try that washi tape to make one too, if the results are as fabulous as this! Love it! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning butterfly on gorgeous background Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. brilliant washi butterfly Mary - this is gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, what a gorgeously colourful card Mary.Great idea for using the washi tape with the butterfly. I don't think I have ever even bought washi tape let alone use it, so probably wont be entering the challenge this time.
    Now I am going to look up the video to see how to do this lovely background.
    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a clever girl you are Mary!! A brilliant use for washi tape. Your butterfly looks amazing. Guess what I am hunting for tomorrow? Washi!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful colours and details on your card Mary, love the butterfly & embossed background.
    Hugs Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning colours and love the EF.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this Mary...that butterfly looks fabulous! What a great idea to use the washi tape this way. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  20. beautiful card Mary, I like the butterfly image and the design
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, there's lots of washi tape here Mary and I love the way you have covered a piece of card and then die cut the butterflies from it, and I love the embossed background in that gorgeous orange colour with some more of that washi along the bottom. Just so lovely and bright. I tend to lose the dot for the 'i' when sticking down a sentiment too Mary, but I try to keep it in the cardstock and then stick a piece of removable tape over the top until after I have stuck the sentiment down. Mind you sometimes I think it is stuck and I look and it has disappeared to goodness knows where ..lol. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now this is taking the use of washi tape to the ultimate! Great idea, and a wonderful, colorful creation! I love that big butterfly die cut!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Brilliant, absolutely stunning, I just LOVE it
    I don't have any Washi tape. I keep looking at it and thinking "what would I do with that"
    Now I know, I might even be tempted to buy some and have go. You could also do that with some Flowers
    Hugs
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your card Mary - that faux metal technique is one I am going to try this weekend. The washi tape butterflies are fabulous!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful idea for washi Mary, you certainly come up with the "goods" when faced with a challenge. Beautiful colours such a bright happy card. Lovely shine to it too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Look at you a Washi Butterfly - what an awesome idea! Love the bright cheery color of this card. The butterfly covering up (cough!) boo boo - well I'm all about that! Really love it Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea to cut butterflies from Washi covered cardstock! So pretty! I'm still loving that background technique too! Haven't tried it yet so thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your washi butterfly looks great with the vellum overlay, Mary!!! The embossed faux metal bg is vibrant and so lovely!!! Love the mixture of patterns you've got here!!! Beautiful!!!
    Have a great day!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brilliant idea using the washi tape on the butterfly, I love it!!! Thanks for following my blog and now I'm following you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just now followed you, sorry my niece is staying with me and I got distracted. It took me a bit to realize I had forgot that step. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very clever use of washi tape, love how your butterfly turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW...you are so stinkin' clever and creative. I love how you used that Washi tape behind your fabulous butterfly, what a wonderful way to make your sweet critter shine.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Mary,
    I definitely need to live near you as I have no washi tape in my collection of stash, and I could have borrowed some of yours I'm sure. LOL.
    So I am struggling with this challenge, but all is not lost as I think my supermarket has some so I'm off to buy some soon.
    What a super, and great card made with that product, and what a great idea to make it into a wonderful Kaleidoscope of patterns, and colours.
    This is sooooooooo! bright and cheerful.
    Love it, and it's bound to brighten up every ones day.
    Love and biggest hugs from my house to yours.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, Mary! I don't know why I started hoarding washi tape - the pretty colours and patterns would catch my eye! Then when I got it home, I never knew what to do with it! So I started making a conscious effort to use it this year, and now I love it! You've done an amazing job with yours! I love it on your die-cut butterfly and the strips along the bottom!

    I saw Jennifer's video on this technique as well and I had to give it a go myself! Just love the result!

    Well done with your washi tape and butterflies! So happy to see your card at the Butterfly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful creation and fabulous colours used, love the whole concept of this creation...
    Hope your weekend is good. xx
    {The Journey Is The Start aNNie my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful Mary! It too, has a home spun appeal to it.
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  37. I have unused washi tape too but this is a great idea and love the embossed background
    carol x

    ReplyDelete
  38. I do enjoy discovering your process, Mary ... especially when it leads to such a lovely card! Another deliciously shimmery background and what a colourful butterfly ... fabulous with the vellum! Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete